Thursday, December 1, 2011

The 40's fashion

I'm going to do a few "trend"-posts every month, so I thought I could start with my favorite this winter. I've already told you about the lace-trend from Chanel and such. Like I've told you before, I really love the classic style, so this trend is actually perfect for me. I've seen a few fashion icons from the 40's, and Bette Davis is absolutely the best one.


She is so beautiful, and I love her style!

World war 2 made a critical change in how women was supposed to be dressed. Because of the rationing and little money, the women had to be creative and sew their own wardrobe. To change the classic suit was one of the most normal trends. The skirt length went up to over the knees and the tops had shoulder pads. The short jackets got thin waists and collars was a great accessory to every clothing. As you can see on the picture of Bette Davis, her dress has a white collar and feminine floral print. The hair had to be elegant, often in a ponytail with a forelock with huge volume or classic curls like Bette Davis has. The make-up also started being more significant. The red lips trend started for the first time in the 40's. Fur and embroideries were forbidden at this time too, so it crashes a bit with the lace-trend. I really love this style, because it's so feminine and I feel like it's a powerful woman style. I'll try to make an outfit with this style, but if I can't find any clothes like this I will only do make-up and hair style. Keep posted!

Summary

Icons;
  • Bette Davis
Typical;
  • Tight skirts over the knees
  • Tight waist (often made with belts)
  • Shoulder pads and puff-arms
  • Slim short jackets
  • Elegant hair
  • Red lips
  • Floral print
  • Collars
Forbidden;
  • Fur
  • Laces
  • Embroideries


(Sources; Costume, www.google.com, www.weheartit.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment